Monday, November 14, 2011

Personal Technology Project #3 - Polls Everywhere

I have seen several people use this technology in classes and I think it is a great way to use technology!  I could use this technology to overcome the problem of not knowing what my students really need to learn.  Yes, I can do pre-assessments by observing my students or by having them take tests, but this is an interactive, anonymous way that will allow my students to confidently get involved.  This could also help overcome the problem of having a specific set of students always answering questions.  This technology invites everyone to participate and freely share what they truly think.

I could use Polls in my classroom to test students' knowledge during a lesson or to review something we've learned.  I would love to use this to have students answer open-ended questions like "What type of physical activity do you prefer to perform?" or do a multiple choice question with yes and no being options A and B to answer the question "Do you know somebody with a mental illness?"  By using Polls I can encourage involvement, especially n circumstances that students may not feel completely comfortable saying what they think to the whole class.

A major obstacle that would prevent my from doing this in my classroom is if a student doesn't have a cell phone or text messaging capabilities.  I wouldn't want to just leave those students out so I would need to find a way to include them, like having them submit their answer online.

Here is the link to my new page with my poll and my Power Point presentation with the polls included on my class website:
https://sites.google.com/site/gillehealthclass/in-cla

No comments:

Post a Comment